Strawberry Crunch McFlurry Copycat
Nothing is more nostalgic than those strawberry crunch ice cream bars we ate as kids! This recipe is the McFlurry version and it tastes just as good, if not better than McDonald’s. The strawberry shortcake crunch is so delectable and turns this cold treat into the most delicious dessert!
THE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH
The most iconic part of the ice cream bars is the strawberry crunch which is not sold anywhere and has always been a mystery to me about how to make it until now. I once made it using crumbled Nilla Wafers, chessman cookies, and freeze-dried strawberries. It was absolutely delicious and very easy but nothing like the real deal. I found this video on Youtube and tested it out myself and it was absolutely perfect, like the real deal.
YOU ONLY NEED FOUR INGREDIENTS:
- instant vanilla pudding mix
- strawberry jello mix
- all-purpose flour
- unsalted butter
To one bowl, add the vanilla pudding mix, all-purpose flour, and unsalted butter. Combine until a thick paste/dough forms again.
To the second bowl, add strawberry jello mix, all-purpose flour, and unsalted butter. Combine until a thick paste/dough forms again.
Mix the two together a bit and then flatten into a thin layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop in the oven to bake for a few minutes, just until the edges turn golden.
Once out of the oven, allow it to cool completely. You can pop it in the freezer to speed up the process. I just crumble it up with my hands so fewer dishes for me and I also like thicker crunch pieces. You can also use a food processor. And that’s it! If you have any leftover strawberry crunch after this recipe, store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for longer.
The Soft Serve
Now moving on to the soft serve which is the easiest part! This is the ultimate hack to make soft serve at home without making ice cream from scratch using a machine. Soft serve is basically vanilla ice cream that has been whipped more to incorporate lots of air. It is soft, creamy, and incredibly smooth. You basically need two ingredients:
- whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream
For the whipped cream, you can either make it from scratch or use Cool Whip. I’ve tried both methods and both work just fine!
To make homemade whipped cream, beat together heavy cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
Then combine the whipped cream and vanilla ice cream in a chilled bowl and mix together to combine. The best way to do this is by using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. You don’t want the ice cream to be rock hard to else it’ll be hard and messy to fix. Let it thaw for 5 to 10 minutes first.
The final result will be so creamy like the consistency of soft serve!
*NOTE: My favorite brand of ice cream for making McFlurries at home is Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla. My second choice is Haagen Dazs Vanilla!
Once the soft serve and strawberry crunch is ready, we can assemble the layers!
Just fill any cup halfway with the soft serve, add the strawberry crunch topping, fill the rest of the cup with more soft serve, and finish it off with a sprinkle of strawberry crunch.
I also love to add strawberry sauce and golden Oreos in the middle but that is completely optional!
Now just enjoy. This recipe makes about 4 McFlurries! If you have any leftover soft serve, just transfer it into an empty ice cream container or Tupperware and keep it in the freezer.
More Sweet Desserts to Try
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
To see more recipes and behind-the-scenes, follow along on Instagram and Youtube! I’m also now on Pinterest pinning away so stop by and see what’s up.
Strawberry Crunch McFlurry Copycat
Nothing is more nostalgic than those strawberry crunch ice cream bars we ate as kids! This recipe is the McFlurry version and it tastes just as good, if not better than McDonald's. The strawberry shortcake crunch is so delectable and turns this cold treat into the most delicious dessert!
IngredientsSTRAWBERRY CRUNCH TOPPING
- 3 ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 ounce box strawberry jello mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp (divided)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- strawberry sauce, optional
- chopped golden oreos, optional
InstructionsMAKE THE STRAWBERRY CRUNCH
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To one bowl, add the instant vanilla pudding and to another bowl, add the strawberry jello. Then to each bowl, add 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of all purpose flour. Mix each one until a thick paste/dough forms.
- Combine the two doughs just a bit so they're swirled into each other but don't mix too much.
- Spread flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pop in the oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool down to room temp. For faster chilling, transfer to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then crumble it up with your hands really well until it looks like strawberry crunch crumble. Set aside.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract to a bowl and using an electric whisk, beat on medium-high heat until stiff peaks form. Once you have whipped cream, it is ready to go.
- To a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. Mix until incorporated together and smooth.
- To to the bottom of a cup, fill the cup halfway with soft serve and add strawberry sauce, chopped oreos, and the strawberry crunch.
- Fill the rest of the cup with soft serve and top it off with more strawberry crunch to enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- homemade whipped cream can be swapped for 2 cups of cool whip