If there’s a dip that can change your life, it’s this Cheesy Elote Dip that’s sweet, spicy, and a bit tangy from the lime juice! It comes together in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect appetizer to make for some last-minute guests. All you need is some tortilla chips to enjoy with. You get the crispy cheese on top and creamy corn on the inside for the best of both worlds!
Elote means corn cob in Spanish and it is a very popular street food made with grilled corn, crema, lime juice, cotija, cilantro, and chili powder. It’s super simple to make and is absolutely delicious as is but we are going to turn it into a dip. This is also actually called Esquites when served in a cup instead of on the cob, fun fact!
HERE ARE ALL THE INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- sweet corn kernels
- sour cream
- lime juice
- chili powder
Just combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. I love adding grilled corn instead of regular corn because it adds a nice charred flavor but this is optional! You can use frozen corn, canned corn, or grilled corn.
If you’d like it more spicy, just add a little bit of cayenne powder or hot sauce to taste. You can also add garlic if you’d like and feel free to use Mexican crema instead of sour cream. Either works fine! You can also omit the sour cream and only use mayo for a more rich taste.
Assembling and Baking
To a large skillet or a few mini skillets, add the elote filling and top it off with shredded mozzarella cheese!
Pop in the oven to bake at 350°F for 15 minutes and then turn the oven to broil for a few minutes just to get the cheese toasted and crispy.
Serve with tortilla chips, lime wedges, and some hot sauce like Tabasco to enjoy!
MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS TO TRY OUT!
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
If there's a dip that can change your life, it's this Cheesy Elote Dip that's sweet, spicy, and a bit tangy from the lime juice! It comes together in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect appetizer to make for some last minute guests. All you need is some tortilla chips to enjoy with. You get the crispy cheese on top and creamy corn on the inside for the best of both worlds!
- 3 cups sweet corn
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup cotija, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, diced
- cayenne powder, optional for heat
- diced red onion, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To a bowl, combine corn, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, cotija, cilantro, jalapenos, and optional cayenne powder or red pepper flakes, and red onion.
- Mix together well and trasfer to a large skiller or any oven safe baking dish.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Then turn the oven to broil and roast on top for 2 to 4 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Take out of the oven and serve warm with tortilla chips to enjoy!