Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Let's make Panera Bread's Famous Broccoli Cheddar Soup at home and even better! Broccoli and carrots simmered in a creamy and cheesy sauce - the best way to get your veggies in.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk whole or 2%
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 2 1/4 cups cheddar shredded
- Over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven, add olive oil, garlic, and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent and golden. Transfer to a small bowl or plate and set aside.
- To the same pot or dutch oven, add butter. Once melted, sprinkle the flour in. Keep whisking until it is smooth and starts to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and milk. Whisk together. Then add back the onion and garlic mixture along with the broccoli, carrots, mustard powder, smoked paprika, dash of nutmeg, and a dash of cayenne. Whisk again, drop heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Remove the lid and add the cheddar cheese. Mix together. Then add black pepper and salt to taste. Stir.
- Pour into bowls and serve with crispy bread to dip in!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!