Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes
A dessert that always wows at a dinner party are these Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes! Everything is cuter when it is individual mini size and these sweet and creamy treats are no exception. If you have ever made cheesecake before, this is even easier than a traditional recipe because a WHOLE Oreo cookie acts as the crust – it’s absolutely incredible!
How to Make the Cheesecake
The secret to a perfect cheesecake is making sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, especially cream cheese! If the ingredients are cold, the cheesecake will be lumpy instead of smooth and creamy. Just take out the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, and eggs about an hour before.
Here’s everything you will need:
- cream cheese, room temperature
- granulated sugar
- sour cream, room temperature
- heavy cream, room temperature
- large eggs, room temperature
- vanilla extract
First cream together the cream cheese and sugar using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer. Now here’s another key step to making a delicious cheesecake. SCRAPE down the sides of the bowl. The cream cheese gets stuck easily to the side of the mixing bowl which will make the batter lumpy. Scrape as you go to avoid this as well as to avoid over beating it. Cheesecake and air bubbles do not mix well.
Then add the cornstarch, sour cream, large eggs, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Beat until the batter is completely smooth. Now try not to lick the bowl!
This is the easiest part of the recipe and the best trick ever to making cookies n creme cheesecake!
For the crust, we will be using a whole Oreo and they fit perfectly at the base of a cupcake tin. No crushing or butter involved to make this crust.
And the best part is the Oreos stay firm even after being baked with the best snap to them.
Assembly & Baking
After adding the Oreo cookie crust, use a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to layer the cheesecake batter on top. Since cheesecake doesn’t really rise, you can fill it pretty close to the top.
Then pop it in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes. Do not over-bake it or it won’t be as creamy as the perfect cheesecake.
Once out of the oven, allow it to cool for 15 minutes and then transfer it to the fridge until cold, 3 hours or overnight. Then enjoy!
Tips For the Perfect Cheesecake
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. This includes the cream cheese and eggs. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Your cheesecake will have chunks and be super lumpy rather than smooth and creamy if they are not at room temperature. The cream cheese should be very soft when adding it to the mixer.
- Cook in a water bath if possible but it is not completely necessary. Water baths allow cheesecake to cook at a steady pace, helping to create a silky texture and avoid any cracks or sinking. Typically, if using a springform pan for regular round cheesecake, you would need to cover the bottom of the pan with foil or an Instant Pot liner but that is not necessary since we are using an 8×8 pan.
- Make sure not to over-mix the batter to avoid any air bubbles. Also bang the bowl with the batter a few times to remove any air bubbles so you end up with a flawless cheesecake.
- For the Oreo cheesecake, do not add the Oreos in to the batter until you’re about to scoop it in to the cupcake tin. Otherwise the Oreos get really soft and blend too much into the batter. We want chunks of Oreos!
Other DESSERT Recipes
- The Perfect Fudgey Brownies
- Cinnabon Copycat Cinnamon Rolls
- Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats
- Cosmic Brownies
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 32 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 12 to 16 Oreos crushed (to add into batter)
- 24 Oreos, whole (to use as the crust)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a cupcake baking sheet by adding a cupcake liner to each one. Then add an Oreo at the bottom of each one to act as the "crust".
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or handheld beater, add cream cheese and sugar to the bowl and beat on medium speed until it is creamy and smooth. Then add one egg in at a time along with the vanilla extract and mix until creamy and smooth again. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Then add the vanilla extract, sour cream, cornstarch, salt, and heavy cream. Combine together until smooth.
- Finally, add the crushed Oreos and swirl in with a rubber spatula.
- Smack the bottom of the bowl a few times to get rid of any air bubbles. Then use an ice cream scoop or large cookie scoop and add the batter on top of the Oreo cookie crust. Fill up the rest.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 15 to 16 minutes or until set.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Then transfer to the fridge for 2 hours or overnight until cold to enjoy!