Hummus with Lamb
The creamiest and fluffiest hummus that gets even better with a helping of shawarma spiced lamb in the center! Serve it as a side dish or call it a meal with lots of pita for endless dipping!
Did you know it can be so easy to make your own hummus at home from scratch? We’re talking in under 10 minutes, that’s how simple it is. Although traditional recipes require you to use dry uncooked chickpeas which you have to soak overnight and boil, I wanted to make this recipe as simple as possible yet so delicious. By using canned chickpeas and a few tricks and tips, you can achieve that super fluffy and creamy texture with a breeze! Let’s make it.
For the hummus part of this recipe, it only takes 10 minutes from start to finish!
HERE ARE THE INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- can of chickpeas, drained
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- garlic cloves
- ice water
The best part of this recipe is that you just toss it all into a food processor and blend! No chopping or prep is necessary. Just blend until completely smooth, it may take a few minutes. Check on it as needed and scrape the sides of the food processor as you go if necessary. Once it is fluffy and smooth, take it out of the food processor and transfer it to a deep and wide bowl. You can always stop here with this recipe or continue on and serve it with lamb in the center!
Elevate Your Hummus with Lamb Shawarma
To make this hummus EVEN BETTER, we are going to add lamb shawarma in the center! This is a pretty common recipe and a lot of people also make it with minced meat too. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for this step. Start out with lamb meat that has been cubed very small. I like to buy lamb shoulder and then just trim the fat and cut around the bones.
Then spice up the lamb with olive oil, salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, allspice, cumin, coriander, cardamom, and sumac!
Mix it all together well and then add to a hot skillet or pan over medium-high heat and sear it on all sides until cooked through about 7 to 9 minutes. Then take off the heat and it’s ready to go to add to your hummus!
Other Variations to Try
There are so many flavors and variations of hummus you can make once you have perfected the base recipe!
- Add roasted red pepper into the food processor to turn it into roasted red pepper hummus. Another option is to dice the red bell peppers and add them to the center as filling instead of the lamb if you want this to be vegetarian.
- Roast garlic in the oven and then add in for a roasted garlic hummus flavor!
- If you love avocado, blend it into the hummus along with cilantro for a green hummus.
- To make a bright pink hummus, you can blend in roasted beet.
Watch How to Make It
Other Recipes Like This to Try
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
To see more recipes and behind-the-scenes, follow along on Instagram and Youtube! I’m also now on Pinterest pinning away so stop by and see what’s up.
The creameist and fluffiest hummus that gets even better with a helping of shawarma spiced lamb in the center! Serve it as a side dish or call it a meal with lots of pita for endless dipping!
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces lamb shoulder, cubed small
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- fried pine nuts
- red onion
- pita bread
InstructionsCOOK THE LAMB
- To a small bowl, add the cubed lamb, olive oil, allspice, cumin, coriander, salt, paprika, black pepper, cardamom, and sumac. Mix together to marinate evenly.
- Heat a pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small drizzle of olive oil and add the lamb.
- Sear the lamb all around and cook until fully done in the center, around 7 to 9 minutes.
- Take the lamb off the heat and set it aside.
- To a food processor, add the chickpeas, ice water, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, and salt.
- Blend for a few minutes until completely smooth and very fluffy! Check on it every now and again until you have achieved that consistency.
- Taste and adjust salt content as needed.
- Add the hummus to a wide deep bowl and spread it out in a circular motion.
- Add the cubed lamb to the center and optional to garnish with fried pine nuts, chopped mint and/or parsley, a sprinkle of cumin, and paprika.
- Enjoy with pita bread!
I made this recipe tonight for iftar, OMG it was delicious. Everyone was praising it. I also added yogurt in shawurma meat. Thanks alot for the recipe
Asalamualikum dear ,best best food & easy to cook , love you sweetheart, stay healthy and blessed
Incredible recipes Thank you