Starbucks Sugar Cookie Latte Copycat
Starbucks just launched their holiday menu with a brand new drink – THE SUGAR COOKIE LATTE! Let’s make it at home and even better. You can enjoy it iced or hot but either way, it’s so delicious.
November 4th was the first day of the Starbucks holiday drinks and everyone has been loving the new sugar cookie latte! I tried it and loved it too so of course I had to try and make it the Moribyan way. Here is how Starbucks describes the sugar cookie almond milk latte:
Sugar cookie-flavored syrup combined with Starbucks Blonde® espresso and steamed almondmilk, topped with red and green sprinkles.
The sugar cookie syrup is the heart of the drink and I think this recipe gets super close to it, possibly even better! I’ll let you be the judge of that.
How to Make the Syrup
The syrup is super easy to make! It has a similar consistency to the white mocha sauce recipe so maybe we’ll call it a sugar cookie sauce instead of syrup.
Here’s what you will need:
- White Chocolate: It can be wafers or chips – just anything that melts well.
- Half & Half: This helps the white chocolate stay in liquid form so it doesn’t harden when it cools down. After all, we’re making a syrup/sauce!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Honestly my favorite to add into coffee. So rich and sweet and compliments the white chocolate beautifully.
- Almond Extract: THIS is the key ingredient to getting the sugar cookie flavor. Do not pass on this.
- Vanilla Extract: Because vanilla makes everything better!
Start out by adding the white chocolate chips and half & half to a microwave-safe bowl. Pop it in the microwave for 30 second intervals, mixing after every interval until completely melted and smooth.
To it, add the sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Mix well and it’s ready to go.
How to Store the Sugar Cookie Syrup
Since it’s dairy-based, it needs to be transferred to an air-tight container like a jar or tupperware and kept in the fridge. It’ll last about a week in the fridge. The syrup did not harden for me in the fridge but if for some reason that happens to you, just microwave for 15 to 30 seconds.
How to Make the Coffee
Starbucks makes the drink using blonde espresso but feel free to prepare the actual coffee part however you like! If you have a Nespresso machine, Target sells the Starbucks blonde espresso pods that I used to make this drink or you can use the Ice Leggero Coffee Pod by Nespresso. I just add some ice to the shots and shake it to make a shaken espresso. To make it a latte, add almond milk or oat milk to the espresso shots and ice and skip the shaking.
Top it Off With Vanilla Cold Foam
If you are enjoying the latte warm, just add frothed milk on top. If enjoying cold, I like to add homemade vanilla sweet cream cold foam on top. It takes less than 5 minutes to make and transforms the drink.
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream: This is what makes the foam super fluffy and smooth!
- 3 Tablespoons Vanilla Syrup: This is what puts the sweet in sweet cream cold foam! You can use any store-bought vanilla syrup that you like or you can just make it at home. It’s super simple to make. Just add 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and 3 tablespoons of vanilla extract to a pot. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until all the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear. Then drop the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens. Transfer to a jar or container and allow to cool to room temperature. It will thicken more as it cools too.
- 1/3 Cup 2% Milk: If you don’t have 2% milk, you can use whole milk or even dairy-free milk. It just helps to thin out the sweet cream since heavy cream can be a lot.
Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer or whisk attachment on a stand mixer to beat it until thick and fluffy and that’s it.
Another option is to add it to a large jar and shake it really well until it thickens up. It can be a bit of a workout but it makes cleanup easier. You can also just whisk it manually with your hand.
And the Sprinkles!
We can’t forget the cute little sprinkles Starbucks adds on top of the drink! I bought these from Target and they work perfectly for this.
Some other drinks you may like:
- Copycat Starbucks White Mocha Sauce and Sweet Cream
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew- Starbucks Copycat
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Watermelon Refresher with Mint & Lime
If you have any questions about this recipe, let me know in the comments! If you make this, send me a picture on Instagram! I love seeing your remakes SO much.
Starbucks Sugar Cookie Latte Copycat
SUGAR COOKIE SYRUP
- 4 ounces white chocolate a little over 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- espresso shots
- ice optional for cold drinks
- almond milk or oat milk
- green and red sprinkles
TO MAKE THE SUGAR COOKIE SYRUP
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the white chocolate and half and half and pop in the microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. Take it out and mix really well. If it's not fully melted, microwave again at 50% power for 15 seconds and mix again until melted.
- To the melted chocolate and half-and half, add the sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Mix to create a smooth and creamy sauce.
TO MAKE THE DRINK
- Make the espresso shots. If you don't have an espresso machine, use any coffee you enjoy.
- If enjoying hot, leave as is. If enjoying cold, add ice.
- To make the drink a shaken espresso, shake it with ice. To make it a latte, add almond milk, oat milk, or regular milk.
- Add the sugar cookie syrup to taste. Mix and enjoy!