Maakouda with Lemon Harissa Aioli
Fried potatoes spiced with the flavors of Morocco – this is Maakouda!
This Moroccan potato fritter can be served as an appetizer or in a sandwich. The sandwich version is commonly sold on the streets back in Morocco and it’s like their equivalent of falafel. I served it with a tangy and creamy harissa dip and it makes for the perfect combo.
Some tips for making Maakouda:
- You don’t want to mash your potatoes all the way. My mom has always made them with a few potato chunks inside as you can see in the cross section and we love it like this.
- If you are not serving with the harissa dipping sauce (recipe below) and you would like the maakouda to be spicy, add some cayenne pepper.
- Make sure your oil is very hot before adding them in to fry! They will suck up too much oil if you drop them in before.
- This recipe calls to bake the potatoes but you can also boil them.
- If you want them even more crispy and have the patience to wait longer before diving in, throw them onto a baking tray and bake them a bit.